Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Is this ok?

Ayden has a girlfriend. Well, actually, he hasn't had the courage to "ask her out" yet, but he's in Love (with a capital L). "and, mom, she's so pretty!"
Hmmmm.........
I worry about this, for several reasons.
First, HE'S FIVE!!!!!
Second, the level of infatuation seems to be pretty high for a Kindergartner. For example, he sleeps with his class picture because she's in it. He has a bad day if he can't be near her or talk to her. He gets jealous if one of his other friends talk to her. The list goes on....
Third, he's so in Love that his heart is eventually going to get broken. I know things like this happen in life, but I wasn't expecting it to happen for about 10 more years!
Lastly, and most frightening- he used the word "sexy" when he described her. I reminded him that he shouldn't use words if he doesn't know what they mean (then he wanted a definition- I acted deaf).
I have talked to him many times about the difference between a girlfriend and a friend who is a girl. He doesn't care. As a result of these conversations, he stopped talking to me about her. Instead, he's taking his personal issues to his friends (who are much older) and his babysitter. WHAT?????
I'm not sure what to do with this. I suppose the only thing I CAN do is just let life happen.
I can only pray that I don't get a call from the principal soon requesting a meeting regarding my sons inappropriate behavior. Please Ayden, for the love, keep your hands to yourself!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Are you serious? I had no idea kids could have that level of a crush. wow i am feeling pretty glad it's not me having to pretend I didn't hear how to explain 'sexy'. Good luck with this one!