Friday, January 30, 2009

A day to be done with

Yesterday SUCKED. If I were to make a list of top 10 bad days, yesterday would be #1. Seriously. I suppose I shouldn't be too upset about it, because really, it could have been worse.
Here's the rundown:
Jade woke me up before the crack of dawn- 6:30 am. If you know me well, you know that I am NOT a morning person. In fact, I could barely be called an early afternoon person. On top of that early hour- I had a headache. Waking up with a headache is a fantastic way to start the day- NOT.
Ayden is getting sicker by the minute it seems. He has a cold. He's had a cold for over 12 days. Now, he's got a fever to accompany the cold. The coughing is gross, so is his nose. So, he stays home from school and we make an appointment with the doc for the afternoon.
Steve arrives home from work- it's the middle of his shift. He's sick to his stomach- stress induced, work related. I've never, in 12 years, seen Steve that upset.
Ayden and I head to the Dr. at 4:15. We see the Dr. at 5:45. An hour and a half in the waiting room (I'm silently thanking God for Jade being at home and giving me the hunch to take stuff to entertain us). So, after a finger prick to check his blood count, the Dr. comes back in the room to inform me that Ayden's platelets (they are responsible for clotting your blood) are very low. This could or could not be related to his cold. This could also point to a more serious health issue for Ayden. We set up an appointment to come back in 10 days to recheck his blood, and leave the clinic with a prescription in case his cold worsens (more so than a fever and cough that could wake the dead?)
Back at the ranch, Steve gets a call from one of his managers and needs to go back to work. So, I hold things together enough to get the kids a very late dinner (which they literally turned their noses up at), get them in baths and into bed.
Let me tell you what scares me to the bone. I'm sure you can guess. Seriously sick kids- I don't think I could handle it. I'm not strong enough. I can handle unemployment, I can handle poverty, I can handle 50 different things at the same time. I can not handle the thought of battling for my babies lives. Yes, they will always be my babies. Yes, I'm probably worrying over nothing. But what if I'm not? I have so many "what if's" running thorough my head right now.
Ayden is still home from school today, his fever has not gone down. I'm doing my best to calm down. After all, we won't know anything more until his blood is checked again. I'm praying it is just related to his cold, that he will be 100% by Monday.
On a lighter note.... Jade is a nudist. I can't blame her and I love her more because of it! Just be warned, if you show up at our house unannounced, you may see Jade in her birthday suit.

2 comments:

Summers Family said...

Reread your entry before today.
The one from your birthday.

There is always a rollercoaster ride - valleys and plains.
The last time I thought, "we have all been blessed with such great health this winter" the next day I went to the doctors for a staph infection. If I feel like I have things under control, suddenly that all changes and i feel like I am going crazy.
I realized last night, finally, that for me it is not about controlling the ride to try and make it consistent, it's about enjoying ALL of the ride. I don't know how to do that but I am trying, very hard, to find joy in whatever the day brings.
You are amazing and will deal with whatever is thrown at you because you are a fighter, and a wonderful wife and mother. I am so sorry you had a sucky day, in contrast today may look that much better!
We will keep you guys in our prayers. Sorry this sounds a little preachy, it was as much to myself as it was to you I think.

Kristin said...

I'm with you i would be scared to death! I HATE the thought of seriously sick kids. I think of my mom sleeping on the hospital couch at primary childrens medical center for most of my youth...I could never do that. I just don't think I have the necessary strength, but I hear you just get it. I hope he does well-10 days must seem like an eternity! In the mean time I hope you can keep up your sanity, having a kid home sick for that many days would drive a sane person crazy!