Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sometimes you just have to walk away

Mom needs a time-out. Seriously. Yesterday and today are days that have pushed me to my limits and for no good reason. Kids are fine, no big problems there. Everyone is healthy. I have no big responsibilities (aside from the mountain of laundry in my room).
I'm just ornery. Apparently the moon is doing something astrologically that is creating emotional times for me. So, kids are going to a friends house and mom is going away.
Does that make me a "bad" mom? I don't think so. Sure, I could bite the bullet, put on a happy face and just get through the day. But, would tomorrow be better? How 'bout the next day? All I know is that if I say one more mean thing to my kids I may damage them beyond repair. Everyone knows that when mom isn't happy, no one is happy, right? So, time to go find my happy place. And that damn moon better get moving on.....

P.S. I'm not telling you about this for sympathy. I hope that in sharing my motherly frustrations, I can help you feel better about having a bad day now and then. We all have them. I think it's time to make it normal and ok for mom's to need time alone and accept that we can't always be perfect.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I just HATE those days, when your not even really sure exactly what it is that is going wrong, but it definatly IS wrong.
It would be nice to be able to get a day to yourself, there are times when I'd love that same oppertunity! But, with Joel working out of town all the time and babysitters about impossible to find...well it just doesn't leave for any alone time. So I say relish the oppertunity, because Id take it in a second!
I think if more people had some time to them selves we would probably have a lot happier families, besides that the kids probably had a blast whereever they went. :)

The Schmitz Bunch said...

I think the moon moved from Utah to Wichita and landed on us! I do hope your weekend was better. Saturday was just the worst day, I had zero tolerance to deal with anything. And of course, the kids were finding every button and pushing it repeatedly.

At one point we threatened to call Santa and cancel Christmas presents altogether. I mean a screaming match with two devious toddler boys is always a good time. Especially while their two year old sister is throwing a tantrum from her bed because mommy picked the wrong jammies.

But by Sunday, a good night's rest induced by a bottle of wine, granted the prospect fo a better day.

As mommy drank a bloody mary at breakfast on Sunday in order to mentally prepare for the five beasts and Ashley's third birthday party at Build-A-Bear workshop later that afternoon, I was able to check myself and remember that I do love them. The little shits. :)