Thursday, January 27, 2011

The psychology of sick kids

Nothing, seriously NOTHING, tears a mom apart more than watching her kids suffer from illness. It's just a virus, a nasty run of the mill cold, but I find myself really struggling. Are any of you like that? It can't really be true, but I feel like Ayden has been coughing since October. The current cough is bordering on another trip to the doctor, "just to be sure".
It's the whole "just to be sure" thing that gets me the most. I ask myself a million questions about whether or not I'm doing the right thing. Is the air too dry, is the house too dusty, what if he's allergic to the detergent, could it be pneumonia this time, maybe something in the school is irritating him (aside from the cute girls who like to tease him :) and it goes on and on and on...... Having a sick kid is mentally exhausting.

I'm not complaining, really it is just a cold, but I felt the need to share. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks illness is the biggest struggle for a Mom. And, I do thank God that I haven't had to deal with any "real" illnesses with my kids. I don't think I have the mental strength to deal with that!

He was sent to bed with a cocktail of grape flavored syrups, hopefully he'll get some good rest and be brand new tomorrow.

On a side note, I was completely spoiled for my birthday!! Gluten Free Pizza, GF Carrot Cake (yummy!!!), new gardening tools, an ipod touch, a droid incredible phone, and a day full of the people I love most near and far. Nothing makes me feel more special than seeing dozens of birthday wishes on my FB page from people who have all been and still are a huge part of my life!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That's funny, I really am the exact opposite, perhaps from too many trips to the doctor as a kid. I always do the "we'll give it a bit longer and see if it improves" behavior :-)